Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Friday, June 15, 2018

Sugarspoon-(Self Titled)(1996)



(Photography by Giovanni Jance; Band photography by Caroline Greyshock; Art direction by Kevin Reagan; Design by Kevin Reagan and Tom Jermann)

Not gonna mince words here-this is a fantastic album. Floridians Sugarspoon have created a true lost gem. It is mellifluous, yet menacing; ethereal and eerie. It even finds room to rock a little bit from time to time.
I think the Toad the Wet Sprocket comparisons I have seen bandied about are fully warranted. Those guys had a real way with rough-hewn beauty too. I am struggling for other comparisons here...maybe a tiny bit of R.E.M. just outside the rougher/rockier edges? A more urbane imagining of the Goo Goo Dolls in some places?
Unfortunately I couldn't find the (arguably) best track, "Arrow", anywhere online, but I have linked a couple goodies below. "Butterfly Breeze" (top link) in particular gets under my skin.
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6CLZjGGBFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEVnXRtUe5I

No comments:

Post a Comment